Getting Handle on Accounting Dissertation Topics
Earning an accounting Ph.D. requires the successful completion of a well-written dissertation. You need a strong topic that is compelling and original and that can provide enough information to fill out a whole dissertation, which can be up to 250 pages or more. Before you can even begin performing this long, complicated task, you must get a handle on accounting dissertation topics.
Start by Researching the Body of Work that’s Already Out there
- Dissertations are published and publicly available on campus for everyone interested in reading such material.
- Browsing through and getting familiar with previously published dissertation works will help you greatly in seeing and getting a feel for different approaches to selecting a topic.
- You see firsthand what topic was selected and how the student went about writing about that topic.
- You may also browse through lists and lists of dissertation topics online. Whole websites are designed just for coming up with great topics. Most sites list numerous examples.
Strike up Conversations – Take the Time to Talk with Others
- Take the time to talk to others, and talk at great length.
- Talk to anyone in the accounting field for as long as she or he will listen to you.
- Strike up conversations with fellow classmates who are in the same boat as you, getting a handle on what makes a good dissertation topic. Directly ask what their approach has been.
- Take a cup of coffee to an accounting professor with whom you have a repoire and have a great conversation on the subject. Your professors haven done this, and they were successful at it. Keep in mind that professors like to take students under their wing.
- Make a phone call, visit, and talk with a professional accountant working out in the field who has already earned his or her Ph.D. accounting credentials.
Not one who has completed a dissertation has forgotten the trials and tribulations of writing his or her dissertation or how they came up with the topic. They remember it as if it were yesterday. It’s a major life-changing event, and people love to talk about their heavy-duty accomplishments.
Coming up with dissertation topics in accounting can be a difficult task, as it may seem that there aren’t many interesting topics out there. However, there are, and you will come up with one. You simply need to research and review all the dissertations from previous students that have been published and get yourself talking with others. Taking the time to do both will ensure you get a great handle on accounting dissertation topics.