Dissertation Help: How To Do Soul-Searching
Are you in a jam as far as the content creation for your dissertation goes? There are so many students who get frustrated and disenchanted with the graduate program once it is time to start composing the dissertation. One of the most important pieces to getting started with the writing process of the dissertation is finding the perfect subject. The subject matter and your thesis statement are really going to mold the path that you will take to complete your dissertation. There are a couple of ways that you can go about finding the perfect subject matter for your dissertation. Some tips on crafting your subject include:
- Think about all of the information that you learned through out your graduate program
- Now pull out all of the subjects that interested you
- Think about your top three most interesting areas of subject matter
This will help you to narrow down the various choices for the subject matter that you will focus on. Now that you have your top three areas of subject matter, you can follow a couple more steps to find the perfect one for you.
- You will do some high level research for each area that you chose for your top three
- Start to fill in information under each unique subject
- Which ever subject has the most available research is going to be the appropriate subject for you
This is because you already know that you are interested in the subject, and there is a significant amount of available research that you can use to back up whatever topic you choose. From this point, it is going to be a matter of selecting a thesis statement that will accurately reflect the information that you learned about this subject area from your classwork, homework, studies, and clinical experience. Your thesis statement should:
- Make an argument about some element of the subject matter that you chose
- Be able to be supported with facts that are found in credible sources
- Focus on one side of the argument, and one side only- flipping from side to side of the argument will only confuse the readers.
These simple tips are the best ways to really streamline your efforts to soul-searching so that you can find the best subject and thesis statement for your dissertation. This way you will be able to move on to other elements of the writing process that are important too.